What Is Earwax?
I’ve often wondered what is earwax all about but never specifically investigated it. Well today I just happened across this article on the BBC News website in the Health section and now I am the wiser.
It’s entitled: ‘Secretion secrets: things you didn’t know about earwax’. It discusses the following five issues:
- How it gets out of an ear.
- It’s anti-microbial properties.
- It matters where your family is from.
- A vacuum rather than a syringe might help clear it out.
- It can be a pollution monitor.
I expect people with earwax problems may find section 4 of interest since it says ears can be cleaned with a specialised vacuum cleaner. See example below:
It goes on to describe how this is a more pleasant and more efficient procedure than syringing. If you haven’t seen it here is the featured image of the cross section through a human ear.
WARNING: Do not try using a domestic vacuum cleaner for cleaning ears.