I have a Friedland Door Chime with its original illuminated Bell Push. It used an incandescent bulb, much like a fuse, until I converted the bell push light to LEDs.
An incandescent bulb has a limited life and eventually burns out. These particular bulbs aren’t cheap (£8+) and are awkward to replace. So when white LEDs, which have a greater life expectancy, became available I used them to replace the bulb.
After extending my house with a single story extension I extended my patio in front of it with a riven patio extension. This was all part of the plan since the extension had a patio door. Before extending the patio this door opened onto an area of rough ground.
This area had previously been covered by slabs which were part of my original patio. These had been removed to make way for the building work. So left in the ground was their hardcore base and bedding mortar.
The new riven patio extension connected my original patio, onto which the back door of the house opened, to the path between my shed and the front garden. That path is laid in a passage between the street fence and the house extension.
Fortunately I was able to match the original riven patio style used when it was built in 2001. Exactly the same type of slabs were still available. I ordered slabs from the same manufacturer, using the same moulds, via my original builder’s merchant. The builder’s merchant had been taken over in the meantime but without any damaging changes.
928 – Fatal PCIe error. PCIe error detected Slot 2 Surprise link down error.
All the errors pointed to either a Slot 2 problem or a problem with my NVIDIA GeForce GTS240 Display Adapter in that slot. I hoped the problem (which is intermittent and very occasional) would go away if I reseated the Display Adapter in its PCIe card slot.
This article describes what I did next and how I ended up lubricating the heat sink fan.
In 2003, when I rebuilt my kitchen, I converted my single towel rail to Twin Towel Rails. They are in a convenient place under the front edge of a worktop. One which is too shallow (front to back) to have any cupboards under it. It has a double panel radiator under it instead.
A single rail was always a nuisance because towels would slip off it regularly. This was due to lack of friction with the rail when they had a weight imbalance due to overhanging one side more than the other.
In the mid 1990’s my mum bought a Remploy Attendant Propelled Stowaway Wheelchair. This was so I could push her around in town and country in the latter years of her life. She was unable to make these journeys under her own steam due to her having arthritis in her ankles.
After her passing I saved her wheelchair for future use by friends and other members of the family. During the time my mum had the wheelchair it probably didn’t cover ten miles. It wasn’t allowed to get dirty or rusty so it remained in excellent condition.
It had one or two outings in intervening years but still probably never exceeded ten miles in all that time. When not in use I stored it in my loft where it would get very hot in summer. That sort of heat soon ages rubber products so that they perish.
In the summer of 2016 I had to move it to another location in my loft. That’s when it happened. When I grasped it by the wheels the rubber tyres broke into several pieces. All four tyres perished due to age (and maybe heat in the loft during summer months). It would’ve been a great shame to scrap this Attendant Propelled Stowaway Wheelchair so I restored it instead.
Here I will describe how I created a Fireplace Alcove Coloured Lighting Scheme using multi-coloured LED lighting.
This article isn’t about lighting a small niche in the wall of a large Ingle Nook fireplace or anything like that. It’s about converting a modern domestic fireplace into an alcove where ornaments or a plant could be placed.
In the daytime daylight is sufficient to illuminate these items but at night a little artificial light, white or coloured, is required.
Unfortunately besides my Dualit Milk Frother requiring a repair (see How I Repaired A Dualit Milk Frother Model DMF2) another problem has developed. I have to ask, “Is my Dualit Milk Frother corroding?” If not what is happening to it. Is the brown mark I can see copper or rust?
My wife pressed the start button on the Dualit Milk Frother (Model DMF2) one day in the summer of 2017 and it no longer worked. This persisted so we had to heat the milk in the microwave oven for a week or two until we got a new frother.
Of course, me being me, I dismantled the faulty Dualit Milk Frother to see if there was an obvious problem. There wasn’t anything burnt out or blackened. Just a lot of wiring in a very confined space. It was constructed with a flat straight circuit board fitted into a curved space. No-one had used flexible circuit boards here.
The long term solution was to replace the whole Dualit Milk Frother. Since they are still on the market that’s what I chose to do. The faulty one had been a replacement for our Nespresso Aeroccino Milk Frother already mentioned in this blog. We now had to replace the replacement.